Kids, Summer and Sunglasses

I am really good about making sure my kids have sunscreen on when playing or swimming -- although I'm no freakish about it. I think there are limits to SPF (sun protection factor) and also some UV is good for us, Vitamin D and all that.  I feel common sense is important- don't let the kids burn (although it happens if we're not diligent) and my kids, especially Bubby, spend countless hours playing outside and swimming in our pool.
Today I realized I haven't been as diligent about sunglasses for the kids; they've all got some but I don't require them to be worn regularly. That has to change. Not just for summer time but with vacation and pool time upon us and more outside time, I should be more conscientious about making them protect their eyes.
I was an optician for a long time and I know better. For myself, with light eyes, the sun bothers me and it's gotten more so as I've gotten older. Eyes need protection from UV light just like skin.  If you don't protect your eyes and your little one's eyes, the UV light causes the crystaline lens to become cloudy with cataracts. You can help keep your children's eyes healthy by having them wear GOOD QUALITY sunglass lenses with shatter-resistant lenses. Don't cheap out and buy an inexpensive, poor quality pair because you are then putting your child's eyes in danger from broken pieces of plastic piercing their eye.  YES, the good sunglasses cost more but here's a chance to teach your children to be responsible.
When I worked in an optical office, I had the opportunity to by good sunglasses at a discount. Now that I don't, I still choose the good quality. It's worth it in the long run PLUS I take better care of my glasses because I know how much they cost to replace (I'm less likely to leave them on top of cab in Las Vegas, which I did when I was 21 and reckless)
When we went to Chicago 2 years ago, I found a pair of Oliver Peoples, Mosley Tribe Sunglasses at a trendy chic shop.   Over-priced on the Magical Mile.  I fell in love with the comfort and polarized lenses (which cuts down on glare, a big selling point for me).  We came home and I researched and found them on Zappos for a lot less.  I've had them over 2 years and they are still my favorite.  There have been a few close calls. I lost them while learning to surf in Lake Michigan. They fell off when I fell off. Thankfully, the water was clear, we were in shallow water and they were right at my feet.  Best pair of sunglasses I've ever owned.  I'll be heartbroken if I ever do lose or break them.  I have to say, they have stood up to a lot of "stress tests" and survived.
Starting tomorrow, the kids are going to have to wear their glasses whenever they are outside for any length of time.  You should too.

No comments:

Post a Comment